Just taking a quick break from a long read to put up some pictures of where I spent most of my weekend. The library. Luckily, it's a very beautiful and very old library, and I got some pretty nice pics. A very peaceful and quiet, almost reverent studying experience. Like studying in church. Or, Hogwarts. Whatever. Anyway, I got a lot done, and also took a few more pics from around the city and around campus. Here you go!
CITY CENTRE
Walking to the library from Picadilly (the bus depot in the center of the city), the weather was beautiful, the sky clear blue. Not that it lasted that long, but I took advantage while I could. I love the tudor-style of this building in particular. It's along one of the posh shopping streets, cobblestoned and pedestrian only.
Manchester is all about old and new, old buildings butt up against very new, modern designs - sometimes to great affect (I love this dichotomy of the Manchester "eye" against the older buildings of the Market Street district). If you've been to London you've probably seen the London Eye - this one is similar although, if memory serves, a bit smaller...
This is the clock tower of Town Hall - just a pretty view through the trees...
THE JOHN RYLANDS LIBRARY, DEANSGATE
And finally, the John Rylands Library. This is the original building, which is on Deansgate, a main avenue in the middle of the city. It is affiliated with the University, but this location is much prettier than the main library on campus. Takes way too long to get here on a daily basis, so I'll only get to use it on the weekends, I think...
Historical Reading Room. How can you not picture Harry Potter in here?
My view from my study alcove.
Love the original stained glass in the windows...
Main gallery. It's now used as a museum space.
UNIVERSITY OF MANCHESTER
Later that afternoon, back on campus, and the clouds have returned...
Whitworth Hall, the original building of Victoria University of Manchester (the predecessor of The University of Manchester) c. 1850.
Archway to the old quad...
The old quad behind Whitworth Hall. I love the building covered with some sort of red ivy...beautiful!
And again, old mixed with new. University Place (I have several lectures here) is across Oxford Road from Whitworth Hall.
yay! thank you for sharing!! it is breathtaking architecture...definitely magical :) so excited for you, thanks for sharing!! xx
ReplyDeleteWow Erin!! You are going to Hogwarts for sure!! I'm so jealous!! They could shoot HP at that John Rylands Library! Especially that Main Gallery. It looks JUST LIKE the halls of Hogwarts! BTW, you are taking AMAZING pictures! I never knew you had such an eye for photography. So glad you're having a great time there. :)
ReplyDelete